Greater & Greener: Re-Imagining Parks for 21st Century Cities is an international urban parks conference that aims to increase awareness of the positive impact that parks and green spaces have on our urban communities and explore how urban parks will be designed, developed, programmed, funded and sustained to meet future demands.
Presented by City Parks Alliance, the Greater & Greener conference is the premier forum for park innovation, offering forward-looking topics and speakers, interactive in-the-field workshops and tours, a volunteer service project and an audience of urban park planning, and design professionals, advocates and supporters from around the world.
Four days of stimulating sessions and events at New York University and in locations throughout the city will:
• Inspire participants to re-imagine parks in a new context of economic opportunities, regional ecosystems, community health needs, public-private partnerships, sustainable development, neighborhood equity and changing demographics
• Create public awareness of the importance of parks and green spaces beyond the apparent recreational values
• Provide practical tools to help professionals and citizens integrate parks into broader ecological, social and infrastructure systems
• Engage and inspire elected officials, policy thought leaders and park advocates to advance the agenda for increased public and private investment in urban green space
• Broaden the discussion of urban parks to engage leaders from health, science, technology, sociology, planning and design, and policy sectors
For nearly two centuries, New York City has led the way in its commitment to providing parks and greenspace for all residents. From the great historic Central and Prospect Parks, to the revitalized Bronx River Greenway to the catalytic High Line Park, the city’s innovative approaches to park development and partnerships can be adapted by all great cities. Greater & Greener will take full advantage of the vast resources of the Big Apple, from our conference hub at New York University to satellite events and workshops in parks around the city. Using the city as your “classroom,” Greater & Greener allows you to customize your conference experience by building your own program. Take advantage of unique weekend tours and participate in our Volunteer Day. Choose topics of interest to you from our vast array of breakout sessions and recommended mobile workshops. Visit informational displays and meet with exhibitors. Finally, catch up with colleagues and make new contacts at our opening and closing receptions and our special evening at Brooklyn Bridge Park.
Learn more and register: http://www.urbanparks2012.org/about-the-conference/