Director of Equity and Inclusion
100% FTE salary commensurate with experience
About the US Water Alliance
Founded in 2008, the US Water Alliance advances policies and programs that build a sustainable water future for all. Our members and partners include water utilities, public officials, community leaders, environmental organizations, business leaders, agricultural interests, community leaders, policy organizations, and more. A nationally recognized nonprofit organization, the US Water Alliance brings together diverse interests to identify and advance common-ground, achievable solutions to our nation’s most pressing water challenges. We:
- Educate the nation about the true value of water and the need for investment in water systems. Our innovative approaches to building public and political will, best-in-class communications tools, high-impact events, media coverage, and publications are educating and inspiring the nation about how water is essential and in need of investment.
- Accelerate the adoption of One Water policies and programs that effectively manage water resources and advance a better quality of life for all. As an honest broker and action catalyst, we convene diverse interests to identify and advance practical, achievable solutions to our nation’s most pressing water challenges. We do this through our strategic initiatives and our One Water Hub, which offer high-quality opportunities for knowledge building and peer exchange. We develop forward-looking and inclusive water policies and programs, and we build coalitions that will change the face of water management for decades to come.
- Celebrate what works in innovative water management. We shine a light on groundbreaking work through storytelling, analysis of successful approaches, and special recognition programs that demonstrate how water leaders are building stronger communities and a stronger America.
The US Water Alliance has offices in Oakland, CA and Washington, DC. as well as key staff located across the United States. For more information, please visit our website at: www.uswateralliance.org.
Reporting to the Vice President of Programs and Strategy, the Director of Equity and Inclusion will lead the organization’s external and internal equity initiatives. The position will oversee the ongoing design and implementation of the organization’s initiative An Equitable Water Future, a multi-faceted national effort to advance programs and policies that foster equitable water management in cities across America. This portfolio of activities is a national initiative that utilizes cross-sector partnerships to explore solutions to disparate impacts of water management on lower-income people, communities or color, and other vulnerable populations in the US. The Director will also guide the development of new Alliance initiatives focused on building racial equity and DEI capacity in the water sector. They will have responsibility for strategic direction, program development, budget development, project execution and staff management. They will serve as an official spokesperson for the organization in a variety of professional settings.
Our ideal candidate will have strong leadership skills, solid judgment, deep connections and access to broad professional networks, the ability to convene diverse constituencies, and a proven track record of advancing racial equity. They will possess integrity, a positive attitude, and a demonstrated passion for the US Water Alliance’s mission. They should have a background in racial or environmental justice, economic equity, water, infrastructure, community development, or related fields of interest. This position requires regular travel to represent the US Water Alliance at various meetings and events.
- Lead the design, implementation, and continuous improvement of the US Water Alliance’s water equity portfolio. Collaboratively develop the vision and objectives for the program.
- Manage and work collaboratively with a strong team of program staff and oversee all program deliverables.
- Oversee the expansion of the Water Equity Network to 75 cities over the next 3-5 years—which includes developing and implementing the growth strategy, advising cities on water equity implementation, creating curriculum, developing peer exchange and learning opportunities among other needs.
- Lead the design and implementation of a new Racial Equity program for US Water Alliance members that will include water-specific racial equity training curriculum, an assessment tool, peer advising circles, and more.
- Serve as an advisor and subject matter expert to Alliance members on incorporating an equity lens into their respective work areas. This includes, but is not limited, to: advise water agencies on development of equity plans, technical assistance, coaching, and training based on needs.
- Serve as an internal thought partner and advisor to US Water Alliance staff on how to incorporate an equity lens in the design and execution of their programmatic priorities.
- Support the Alliance’s internal efforts to improve our organization’s equity and inclusion practices.
- Cultivate and manage strategic partnerships with multiple water agencies, community organizations, foundations, government partners, and national allied organizations.
- Represent the organization and deliver presentations at conferences, meetings, and events.
- Manage multiple project deliverables with a high level of collaboration with staff, consultants, and partners.
- Ensure project outcomes are evaluated and leveraged for maximum organizational and sector impact.
- Develop and manage budgets.
- Support revenue generating and fundraising activities to assist existing programs and the growth of the US Water Alliance with members, funders, and sponsors.
The Director, Equity and Inclusion will be thoroughly committed to the US Water Alliance’s mission. The successful candidate will be a demonstrated leader in advancing economic and racial equity, with experience in the areas of water, the environment, or related sectors. Specific qualifications include:
- BA in related field required; Advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience; a minimum of 3 years in a management role
- Demonstrated leadership experience in racial justice, coalition building, and water is required. Additional experience in communications, urban planning, or place-based initiatives is a plus.
- Program leadership and management. This individual will have taken a hands-on approach in designing and implementing program initiatives, especially ones that engage government agencies in advancing racial and economic equity. The ideal candidate will have a track record of effectively leading a performance-based and outcome-based program and staff. They will have developed and operationalized strategies that have taken a program or organization to the next stage of growth.
- Team building and development. The successful candidate will have managed and developed a strong team of staff and consultants.
- Exceptional communication, public speaking, and influencing skills. As a national spokesperson for water equity, the ideal candidate will have strong written and verbal communication skills. They are a persuasive, credible, and polished communicator with excellent interpersonal skills. Ideally, this person will have a proven track record serving as an effective spokesperson at a regional or national level.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and excellence in organizational and project management with the ability to achieve strategic objectives and manage a budget.
- Fundraising experience with member-based organizations, foundations or corporate sponsors.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders including water utilities, government agencies, community stakeholders, environmental groups, foundations, coalitions, the private sector, and more.
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for racial equity, the US Water Alliance’s mission, and commitment to working collaboratively with a talented and growing staff.
- Exceptional judgement, leadership and inter-personal skills.
Compensation and Location
US Water Alliance offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. Qualified candidates will be considered regardless of location. While the Director of Equity and Inclusion can work from anywhere, we would expect regular travel to the Oakland or DC office, once COVID related travel restrictions are lifted. Travel will also be required for program and/or development needs.
Please send your CV/resume, a cover letter, and two original, unedited writing samples. Please email your application to email@example.com with “Application: Director of Equity and Inclusion” in the subject line.
The US Water Alliance is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and a welcoming workplace for all.